Press Information (San Francisco Human Rights Commission Report)
Today the San Francisco Human Rights Commission issued A Human Rights Investigation into the Medical ‘Normalization’ of Intersex People, declaring that the standard medical approach to intersex conditions leads pediatric specialists to violate their patients’ human rights.
- See ISNA’s press release
- See San Francisco Human Rights Commission’s Press Release
- We also suggest that you have a look at Top 10 Myths about Intersex
San Franciso Human Rights Commission
- A Human Rights Investigation into the Medical ‘Normalization’ of Intersex People
- Video of testimony from San Francisco Human Rights Commission’s May 27, 2004 open hearing on intersex issues.
Press Contacts and photos
- click here for a list of experts ready to speak with journalists about this story.
American Academy of Pediatrics Policies
- Evaluation of the Newborn With Developmental Anomalies of the External Genitalia
- Policy on Informed Consent, Parental Permission, and Assent in Pediatric Practice
- Policy on Female Genital Mutilation
Medical Ethics Perspective
- Frader, Joel, Priscilla Alderson, Adrienne Asch, Cassandra Aspinall, Dena Davis, Alice Dreger, James Edwards, Ellen K. Feder, Arthur Frank, Lisa Abelow Hedley, Eva Kittay, Jeffrey Marsh, Paul Steven Miller, Wendy Mouradian, Hilde Nelson, and Erik Parens. 2004. Health care professionals and intersex conditions. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 158 (5):424-8.
Suggestions for Writing about Intersex
- click here for suggestions about writing informed and sensitive pieces about intersex and people with intersex conditions.
Copyright © ISNA 1993-2008